Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of 60 minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." - C.S. Lewis

There comes a time in life when things change drastically, whether its good or bad its bound to happen. Life, death and other major events lead our lives and even though we have control over most of the things that happen, there are some things that we just cannot control.

I never thought that it would be this good when it did.

My life (before it became what it has) was pretty inane. The events that led my life included playing video games, listening to music, eating out constantly and gluttonously and about a six pack a day depending on how I felt. I would drink 2-4 energy drinks a day, drink my weight in soda and just spend money like there was no tomorrow. Even though some may not think that's terrible, and it may not have been, maybe a normal teenage routine. The only problem with that is, I wasn't a teenager. At 21 I should have had some direction. Going to college, working on my future, saving money and just all around working to becoming a better adult but that was not what I was doing at all. I had no direction. About a year later, an event would happen that would change (and possibly save) my life. I met a girl.

By save my life I don't mean that I was dying, even though at the rate I was going I probably wasn't too far off. Like I said before I had no direction and no real goals, I was just living. Where would have ended up if the events that happened didn't happen? At this point in my life I really don't want to think about it. The best thing about that period of my life were my friends. I have the best friends ever because during that time I felt I didn't have a whole lot to live for and they were the reason I was able to make it through it. During that time I basically hated myself (in a completely non suicidal way) for living that way and it just seemed to make me do those things worse. I guess I tried to make myself feel better.

I don't mean to sound like a whiner and I'm definitely not putting this out there for attention. I've just been thinking about this and realized how much my life has changed for the better and it all started with meeting my amazing wife (a blog I'll save for another time).  I now feel like I have something to live for and goals to work towards. Being a good dad, husband and successful grown up have all become my main focus. I want to be a good role model for my kids and maybe teach them the complete opposite of what I did so that some day they can grow up and become the best possible adults that they can be.

And hopefully they can teach me a few new things along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment